Chef_Jenn

Chef_Jenn
it's me...

Labels

Monday, May 3, 2010

A day of gluttony

Over the weekend I went a little foodie crazy (guess that is what happens when your knee hurts and going out and enjoying the beautiful San Diego weather is not an option). Saturday was spent slowly eating a 5 course meal. I wanted to share it with you but don’t want to show just what a glutton I am, so I am only sharing 2 recipes (that made up just one of the courses).


Maybe one day I will be comfortable with my gluttony and will reveal the other 4 courses.

To prep for this day of gluttony I had to do some shopping, one stop was at Chino farms to pick up the start of summer produce. Then grabbed a lovely piece of Swordfish from my local fish marketed, combined it with my Chino farms finds, as well as some fun items I had in my garden; here is what I created with these great treats.

Grilled Swordfish with Avocado, Orange, Habanero, and Dill Salas
Serves 2


Swordfish marinade
¼ cup Olive oil
2 tbsp Lemon verbena
1/2 tsp Ground black pepper
3 dashes Maggie
1 (1-inch-thick) Swordfish steak (8 ounces)

For salsa
1 Orange, segmented
1 Orange, juiced
1 Avocado, diced
½ tbsp Fresh dill leaves
1 tbsp Green onion, finely chopped
1 or 2 dashes Habanero hot sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

Marinate swordfish:
Place olive oil ,lemon verbena,ground black pepper, maggie and swordfish into lagre plastic bag; coat fish in marinade. Marinate for 15 minutes in the refrigerator. (Do not marinate longer.)

Make salsa while swordfish marinates:
Combine orange segments, orange juice, avocado, dill, green onions, Habanero hot sauce and season with salt and pepper. Gently stir together and set aside.

Grill swordfish:
Heat non-stick grill pan over medium high heat. Remove swordfish from marinade and grill until just cooked through, approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side. Serve topped with salsa.


Or
Follow the same recipe for marinating and cooking the fish but omit the salsa and serve with this recipe:

Vegetable with Cream
Serves 2

2 tbsp Unsalted butter
7 Petterpan squash, cut in quarters
1/3 cup Carrot, sliced
2 tbsp Green onion, sliced
1 cup Fresh English peas
3 sprigs Thyme
¼ cup Cream
Salt and pepper to taste

In a sauté pan heat butter over medium high heat.
Add squash and carrots, sauté till just tender (about 3 minutes).
Add green onions, peas, and thyme, sauté until peas just begin to become tender.
Add cream and simmer for 2 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately.

No comments: